Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Healthy" Banana Brownies

I had a bunch of bananas that were getting really ripe.  My daughter kept wanting apples instead of bananas, so the apples got used up before the bananas.  I wasn't in the mood for ANOTHER banana bread.  I googled for recipes and this one looked good to me.  


It is good for a "healthy" dessert.  Well, to me, it is.  It's lowfat and has fiber in it, and low calorie.  I had everything on hand for it, as well.  The original recipe asked for 1 cup of flour, which made the batter really watery, so I added another 1/2 cup and it turned out ok.  


If you're looking for a brownie that's not too sweet and not too rich,  moist, springy, and cakey brownie...then this is the recipe for ya!


Banana Brownies



  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 4 egg whites
  • 3 medium mashed bananas
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. in a bowl combine oats & water, let stand 5 minutes.
  2. beat egg whites, bananas, sugar, oil & vanilla until blended, then add the moistened oats.
  3. combine dry ingredients, slowly add to wet mixture.
  4. spread into 13x9 inch pan (sprayed with cooking spray).
  5. bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
  6. cool, cut into bars.

My 21 month old daughter LOVES 'em!  She had one little piece and kept wanting more and more. :)  Much better than giving her Oreos and other junk food! :)

No comments: