Saturday, June 20, 2009

Venison Fajitas







I made venison fajitas the other day and they were good! I didn't even know how to make fajitas so I just made it up as I went along. It could've been better if I had grilled the meat before cooking it with the onions and peppers. This is a "non-recipe" as I didn't measure anything and went by taste.


VENISON FAJITAS

  • Venison tenderloin steak (I did about 1 lb)
  • 1 onion (I used vidalia onion, which was what I had on hand, but I'm sure any onion would be good)
  • banana peppers (I used 3 banana peppers...one was HUGE as you'll see below)
  • seasonings (I used a little bit of habanero hot sauce, cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper)
This is the banana pepper that my mother-in-law gave me...isn't it HUGE???? She gave me three, the other two were about half the size of this one. I cut the peppers and took the seeds out. Then cut 'em into strips.

Cut onions into strips as well

Put 'em in a cast-iron pan (or any pan you have on hand...but cast-iron is the best). Season with whatever flavorings you want in 'em and cook until the onions are almost translucent.
While the veggies are cooking, cut the steak into 1/4 inch strips. It's much easier when the meat is slightly frozen.
Take the veggies out and put the meat in the pan until almost done...put the veggies back in with the meat and cook until the meat is done and the onions are translucent. Be careful not to overcook the venison, as it can get tough when overcooked.


Put everything on a tortilla and eat it! It's great with sour cream, guacamole, cheese, salsa, or whatever you like on your tacos.

No comments: